Honeymoon Style

banner

Monday, April 1, 2019

No One Is Going to Remember Your Wedding: Reasons You Should Jump Off the Trendy Wedding Train

Photo from StyleLovely

Wedding trends, ugh.  While they may look super hip and totally awesome, but some days I see the same thing wedding after wedding.  If I fail to look impressed, it's because the weddings before you did the same thing. And probably the wedding after you will do the same.  

"But I like it", you say.  Do you like it because it's all over the wedding sites or because you've heard or seen the buzz? Do you feel like you need to do what's trendy or because your Instagram influencer says to?  

It's time to do something that totally reflects the both of your lives. 


  • No one is going to remember your wedding.
There, I said it.  Weddings seem to hit all at once.  Friends and family are getting married around the same time frame, so you are going to a lot of weddings.  Your wedding is the same as the others.  You are one of a group that is doing camo/burlap/outdoor/farm weddings.  Everytime I see a burlap table runner with lace trim, I throw up a little in my mouth.  It was cool the first hundred times I saw it, but now...just make it go away.  

You want to stand out?  Do something different that is YOU. 
Be unique, be you!

  • Trends come and go, it may be passe by the time your wedding rolls around.
Guess what?  Trends don't last!

  • Good taste never goes out of style.  Take a tip from Coco Chanel.
Coco Chanel always said it best. 


Photos from Who What Wear


  • Don't force a theme or use the same old same old theme.
If you can't think of a theme, don't force a theme on your wedding.  Pick colors you both love, pick things that mean something to you both, presto, that's your original theme.  
Weddings used to be much simpler, they weren't themes as such, there was individuality.

  • Instead of doing what everyone is doing, bring back a family tradition to make your wedding memorable.
Every family has their own traditions, handed down through generations.  My Italian family has several.  Couples line up around the hall with their hands joined up in the air.  The wedding couple runs through the human archway.  They lower their arms and lock the couple in and make them kiss.  I always hated it and thought it was stupid and old fashioned...but at my wedding my friends loved it and thought it was so much fun.  Another family tradition is doing an Italian dance, the Tarantella, followed by a rousing polka.  All of my super cool friends joined in. Houda thot?

And the cookies..the entire extended family bakes cookies and the cookie table at the reception is massive.  The wedding is judged by the cookies.  When someone is talking about a wedding, one of my relatives is bound to ask  "How were the cookies?".  And for some reason every wedding has to have the DJ play 'Proud Mary' by TIna Turner.  I think the wedding isn't legal until the song plays.  And everyone dances all night.   Years later, (I'm still married), people still tell me it was the best wedding they'd ever been to. Yay!


  • Listening to the experts tell you what trends you MUST  follow is like me explaining string theory. *shout out to Big Bang Theory*
Everytime I look at the list of must do trends, I wonder who can actually afford to FOLLOW those trends.  Most involve a lot of cash that most couples can't afford. Notice the person talking about the trends are the ones who cater to celebrities and the very wealthy. Don't go in debt to follow any trend.  Become the trendsetter!

Be unique, be you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment